Thursday, October 7, 2010

NPR DFW part 2 Karma

So, I kind of jokingly posted today asking for donations for our local NPR station to end the everlasting pledge drive. Kind of a cop out 31 for 21 post, because I didn't really have much to say/time to say it, today.

And two hours later on my local NPR station, the show Think featured Alexandra Codina, the filmmaker of Monica and David.

It was a great interview. Too short, because it was on during the pledge drive, but very respectfully done.

The part that really stuck with me was Codina's point that she felt that Monica and David weren't limited by their disability so much as limited by everyone else's perception of their disablity. So true, I think.

There is a special screening of Monica and David, tonight in Dallas. I wish I could go! Dang PTA.

I can't end without saying that I cried most of the way through the show. When I hear anything about life with Down syndrome presented in such an open, accepting way, it just gets me. I think we are so lucky to be living in a time when so many doors are opening. Sure, some of them are open just a crack, and we have to shove them open with everything we have, but there ARE openings.

Windows and doors and slivers of light that make my daughter's future so much brighter.

I'll post a link to the podcast as soon as it's up. And p.s., I'm now caught back up with the number of posts I need for 31 for 21! (We'll see how long that lasts.)

Hug your babies.

Love, W.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, so I saw M&D at the conference and I'm waiting to post about it until after it airs so that people don't see my thoughts first and I REALLY want to hear what other people think.

    I'm sorry that you can't go tonight. Poo.

    I'll be waiting for that podcast link.

    ReplyDelete