Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Spread the Word to End the Word


I wasn't sure what I wanted to write today. So, here goes.

It's not about actually calling someone with a disability a retard - who even does that? It's about someone just saying "don't be such a retard" or "that's retarded", etc. Not even thinking that someone might overhear or that their kids are picking up on that language and using it.

It's about using the word "retard" or "retarded" when what you really mean is that you made a poor choice, something is strange, it was a dumb mistake...surely we're all bright enough to choose a more appropriate word from our vocabularies.

And, yes Mr. President, it's about not comparing your poor bowling score to the athletic achievements of a Special Olympian. You frankly don't deserve to stand in their company.

Before Kira arrived, I did it, too. I know I made reference to the short bus or someone being "special" and I am deeply ashamed. I don't think it's hypocritical, though, to say "I made a mistake and I'm changing that right now."

So, please, for Kira, take the pledge - spread the word to end the word.

3 comments:

  1. "I don't think it's hypocritical, though, to say "I made a mistake and I'm changing that right now."

    Yes, exactly. <3

    ReplyDelete